.

Thursday, March 28, 2019

An Investigation into the Factors which Affect Osmosis Essay -- GCSE B

An Investigation into the Factors which Affect OsmosisOsmosis is defined as the movement of piddle molecules from a high submerging to a dismantle concentration through a partly permablemembrane. Osmosis occurs with molecule moving in and out, thesemolecules move crosswise the typesets electric prison cell membrane. The names cellmembrane is partially permable and therefore it has small holes in itwhich allow for small water system molecules to street through it howeverlarger molecules such as glucose through. However on the out side of the place cells there is a cell groyne ofcellu unload that has larger holes that let anything gnarl through it.This cell wall is entirely permeable and therefore go forth allow largermolecules such as glucose through it, but the larger molecules canstill not pass the cell membrane. When these cells are in a upshotwhich has a higher concentration of water than the cells concentrationof water the water will stagger into the cell as the water moves froma higher concentration (the solution) to the lower concentration (thecells.) As more and more water enters the cell the cell wall starts toexpand and the cell starts to become turgid.Even is a plant cell is placed in a solution where there is a highwater concentration and a weak kale solution (say a 0.1 d/mol3 strong)there will still be more water outside the cell than inside the celltherefore there will still be an increase in volume and weight. This nitty-gritty that when the plant cells are placed in a strong sugar solution(where there is more sugar than water.) there will be a decrease inweight and volume. This process is defined as plasmolysis. This iswhere the cell membrane pulls away from the cell wall, this is becausea lot of water has been moved from the cell as the plant cell has thestrong concentration of water and the solution has a weakconcentration the water will move from the plant top the water.Sometimes the cell will diminish up completely and it becomes flaccid.This is represented in the diagram belowWith osmosis occurring there will eventually be a point where theconcentration of water will be equal to the concentration inside thecell. This means that with the water still diffusing in and out therewill be equal amounts going in and out. This means that osmosis isstill occurring but the plant or the solution is either gaining o... ...ainst the cellwall, the tugor pressure will fall in its maximum and the cells willnot be able to express in any more water. At the other end of the get out, Iwould expect the line to eventually curve off horizontally. Once thecell becomes flaccid and the cell membrane collapses, no more waterwould be able to escape.I did predict that the stronger the solution the more the potato chipswould lose weight. I believe my results have proven this.EvaluationI am pleased with the way my experiment has gone, I did not comeacross too many problems and most of my points on the graph were closeto the l ine of best fit. Therefore I am happy with the accuracy of myresults.I think my method was adequate for producing accurate results I couldstill meliorate it. I couldve also tried to measure the potato chipsmore accurately when cutting them.I feel my investigation on the whole was a sucsess. I achievedreliable and accurate results. however I could increase my authorityin my conclusions by repeating the experiment with another carrot to corroborate it up. But on the whole my experiment matched my prediction and Iam happy about my results and the way I conducted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment